Certified SAFe Agilist: Leading SAFe (Scaled Agile Framework)
Successful scaling of Agile beyond the single team is one of the most important challenges faced by many organisations. Core scrum provides no guidance on how to do this, and unofficial techniques such as Scrum-of-Scrums go only some way to providing an answer and are not widely understood. The SAFe Scaled Agile Framework™ is an increasingly popular complete approach for large-scale, multi-team Agile projects and programs. It builds upon the use of Scrum and XP by Agile teams with specific Program practices and roles for Agile Architecture, Release Train Planning and management of the Product Vision, Roadmap and Program Backlog. At the overall Portfolio level, SAFe utilises concepts of Lean Thinking and Kanban for the management of Architectural and Business Epics within agreed Investment themes.
This 2-day Leading SAFe training class gives you the knowledge required to become a Certified SAFe Agilist and to lead an enterprise agile transformation using the Scaled Agile Framework.
By the end of this course, attendees will be able to:
- Apply lean, agile and product development flow principles to improve productivity, employee engagement, time to market, and quality
- Apply the Scaled Agile Framework™ based on lecture, real-world examples, and insights by Scaled Agile experts
- Understand the skills necessary for an enterprise transformation based on the information and examples presented, and additional recommended readings and resources
- Gain insights into the leadership skill most effective in unlocking the intrinsic motivation of software development knowledge workers, and begin applying them in your context
- 2 days of high quality instruction from a Scaled Agile accredited SPC and Leading SAFe trainer. The majority of courses in 2014 are led by two trainers from: David Hicks, Andy Murthar, Tom Reynolds, David Putman and Vince Ryan
- For courses on our public schedule, refreshments before and during the course, including lunch
- All course materials, which include a copy of the slide deck, exercises and case study
- All applicable Scaled Agile "Certified SAFe Agilist" exam fees
- Scaled Agile "SAFe Agilist" certification and 1 year's membership (upon successful completion of the SAFe Agilist exam)
- Agil8 Community membership including face-to-face and virtual networking and knowledge sharing opportunities, access to industry experts, special offers and invitations to special events
- For PMI PMPs this course provides 14 Category B PDUs
- For Scrum Alliance members, this course provides 14 Category B SEUs towards Certified Scrum Practitioner (CSP)
You can expect the following topics to be covered during the course:
1. Intro to SAFe
Introduction to the Scaled Agile Framework™.
2. Lean Thinking
An overview of Lean Software Development and Product Development Flow.
3. Agile Development
Application of Agile development in the enterprise context. Business Benefits.
4. SAFe ScrumXP
An experiential walkthrough of "SAFe ScrumXP”, focusing on scalable technical, project management and economic prioritisation practices that enable scaling to the program and portfolio level
5. Agile Release Train
Identification, implementation and execution of Agile Release Trains — long-lived programs whereby teams-of-agile-teams optimise quality and velocity delivery for the enterprises larger value streams
6. Agile Portfolio Management
Agile transformational patterns for Strategy and Investment Funding, Program Management, and Governance.
7. Agile Architecture
Principles of Agile Architecture, role of System and Enterprise Architects, and Architecting with Flow.
8. Scaling Leadership
Scaling Enterprise Lean|Agile leadership.
The Leading SAFe course is aimed at executives, managers, consultants, coaches and Agile change agents responsible for leading a Lean|Agile change initiative in a large software enterprise.
While no specific preparation is required for this course, delegates should ideally have 5+ years of experience in software development, testing, business analysis, product or project management as well as some experience using Scrum. Background reading prior to the course is highly recommended, including review of the www.scaledagileframework.com. A full reading list is provided to delegates upon registration.
Upon successful completion of this training class, delegates will be eligible to take the on-line Scaled Agile Academy SAFe Agilist exam. The exam is a complex multiple choice exam and will require revision. The exam window is just 10 days, immediately post course, and therefore time should be set aside for this. Three to four hours is recommended. On passing the exam, Certified SAFe Agilists will have the option to appear on the Certified SA directory and have access to the Scaled Agile Academy LinkedIn community. Exam retakes are $50 and can be taken 30 days or more after the previous exam. Annual renewal requires 10 continuing education/outreach hours and currently costs $100 payable to the Scaled Agile Academy.