What is this workshop?
The SAFe® Implementation Roadmap provides a proven approach for adopting the Scaled Agile Framework®. One of the most important steps on this roadmap is to identify the Value Streams within the enterprise. Value streams are the primary construct for organising teams, programs and communication, and delivering value to the customer and to the enterprise itself. Attempting to shortcut or breeze through this crucial step can derail your transformation before it begins. Getting value streams right, however, enables the organisation to accelerate the flow of value across functional silos, activities, and boundaries.
This workshop is a key element of a SAFe consultancy offering, and a natural follow up from the Leading SAFe course. To read more about the SAFe implementation roadmap, please visit www.scaledagileframework.com/implementation-roadmap/.
Please note that typically this is delivered as a 1 day workshop. However, depending on the scope that individual organisations wish to cover, we do also offer 2-3 day workshops. For example, an extended workshop could include a review of the structure and value streams in a larger portfolio or when a portfolio has a lot of large value streams – solution trains.
What will you learn?
During this one-day facilitated workshop, you will learn how to identify your organisation’s operational and development value streams within a selected portfolio. You will develop options for organising your program teams (ie Agile Release Train – ART) along these value streams, optimised for efficiency and delivery. With this understanding, we will help you pick one value stream and one ART to serve as the pilot train for the journey. Next, you will learn how to create a plan to launch the ART and develop a roadmap for launching more ARTs and value streams.
Specific items that you will learn include:
- Gain an overview of the SAFe Implementation Roadmap
- Learn how to identify value streams and ARTs in your organisation
- Learn to map your current and future organisation design and team structures to the identified value stream
- Understand the considerations in designing ARTs to realize the value stream
- Select the first value stream and ART to get your first ‘short-term win’
- Begin planning for the launch of the initial ART(s)
Who is this suitable for?
- Executive sponsors and Portfolio Program Management Officers (PMO)
- Release Train Engineers and Agile coaches
- Certified SAFe® Program Consultants (SPCs) and change agents
What topics will be covered?
You can expect the following topics to be covered during the workshop:
- What is a Value Stream?
- Identify your Operational Value Streams
- Operational Value Stream Definition
- Illustrate the Operational Value Streams
- Identify IT products, systems and dependencies
- Identify people and development locations
- Identify Development Value Streams
- Review existing Development Value Streams and ARTs (optional)
- Realise ARTs in the Development Value Streams
- Validation Testing (optional)
- Validation test ART options (optional)
- Documenting the Value Stream
- Elaborate a Development Value Stream
- ART definitions evolve over time
- Identify your most opportunistic Agile Release Train
- Sequencing ART Launches
- Determine ART launch sequencing
- Identify next steps