Cerified SAFe Program Consultant (SPC) 4.0
What is This Course?
Successful scaling of Agile beyond the single team is one of the most important challenges faced by many organisations. Core scrum provides no guidance on how to do this, and unofficial techniques such as Scrum-of-Scrums go only some way to providing an answer and are not widely understood. The SAFe Scaled Agile Framework™ is an increasingly popular complete approach for large-scale, multi-team Agile projects and programs. It builds upon the use of Scrum and eXtreme Programming (XP) by Agile teams with specific program practices and roles for Agile Architecture, Release Train Planning and management of the Product Vision, Roadmap and Program Backlog. At the overall Portfolio level, SAFe utilises concepts of Lean Thinking and Kanban for the management of Architectural and Business Epics within agreed Investment themes.
This special, 4 day SAFe Program Consultant (SPC) 4.0 training, presented by Scaled Agile Gold Partner Context Matters, and hosted by agil8, will be taught by Mark Richards. Whilst coaching Australia’s first SAFe implementation at Telstra, Mark was invited to join the first class to be certified as SAFe Program Consultants when the framework launched in 2012. Since then, he has both trained and consulted on the implementation of SAFe in the government, insurance, finance and education sectors. In late 2013, his contributions to the framework’s evolution and success with implementation led to him becoming the first person worldwide to be certified as a SAFe Program Consultant Trainer (SPCT).
This course comprises an intensive version of Leading SAFe during which you will gain the knowledge necessary to lead an enterprise Agile transformation by leveraging SAFe and its underlying principles of Lean Thinking and Product Development Flow. You will leave with an understanding of how the principles and practices of the framework support Agile Teams, Agile Programs, Agile Program Portfolio Management and Agile Architecture.
In the second 2 days, you will gain the knowledge needed to identify, plan and implement SAFe programs with Agile Release Trains. Furthermore, you will have the briefings, artifacts and templates you need to identify the value streams, prepare the organisation, launch Agile programs, plan and execute the major events, and implement effective processes and measures for continuous program improvement.
The goal of this course is to prepare internal change agents and external consultants to:
- Lead an enterprise Agile transformation
- Implement the Scaled Agile Framework® (SAFe)
- Train managers and executives in Leading SAFe and act as a SAFe Agilist (SA) certifying agent
- Train teams in SAFe ScrumXP for Teams and act as a SAFe Practioner (SP) certifying agent
What Will You Learn?
By the end of this course, attendees will be able to:
- Apply Lean, Agile and Product Development Flow principles to improve productivity, employee engagement, time to market and quality
- Apply the Scaled Agile Framework™ based on lecture, real-world examples and insights by Scaled Agile experts
- Understand the skills necessary for an enterprise transformation based on the information and examples presented, and additional recommended readings and resources
- Gain insights into the leadership skill most effective in unlocking the intrinsic motivation of software development knowledge workers, and begin applying them in your context
- Find the value streams around which to organise the enterprise’s Agile Release Trains
- Prepare the organisation and the teams to launch the trains
- Run the first Release Planning Meeting
- Interact at key program touch-points to “help keep the train on the tracks”
- Run Inspect and Adapt workshops for continuous program improvement
- Introduce the organization to principles of program portfolio management and Agile architecture
- Grow leadership skills necessary to support the transformation
What Topics Will Be Covered?
You can expect the following topics to be covered during the course:
1. Intro to SAFe
Introduction to the Scaled Agile Framework™.
2. Lean Thinking
An overview of Lean Software Development and Product Development Flow.
3. Agile Development
Application of Agile development in the enterprise context. Business Benefits.
4. SAFe ScrumXP
An experiential walkthrough of "SAFe ScrumXP”, focusing on scalable technical, project management and economic prioritisation practices that enable scaling to the program and portfolio level.
5. Agile Release Train
Identification, implementation and execution of Agile Release Trains - long-lived programs whereby teams-of-agile-teams optimise quality and velocity delivery for the enterprises larger value streams.
6. Agile Portfolio Management
Agile transformational patterns for Strategy and Investment Funding, Program Management and Governance.
7. Agile Architecture
Principles of Agile Architecture, role of System and Enterprise Architects, and Architecting with Flow.
8. Scaling Leadership
Scaling Enterprise Lean|Agile leadership.
What Will You Receive?
- 4 days of high quality instruction from one of the world's best SAFe Program Consultant Trainers, Mark Richards, from Context Matters
- All course materials, which include a copy of the slide deck, exercises and case study
- All applicable Scaled Agile "Certified SAFe Program Consultant (SPC)" exam fees
- Scaled Agile "SAFe Program Consultant" certification and 1 year's membership (upon successful completion of the SPC exam)
- Further benefits available to SPCs in good standing are provided in the section "What About Certification"
- Agil8 Community membership including face-to-face and virtual networking and knowledge sharing opportunities, access to industry experts, special offers and invitations to special event
- For PMI Project Management Professionals (PMPs), this course provides 32 Category B Professional Development Units (PDUs)
- For courses on our public schedule, refreshments throughout the course, including drinks and lunch
Who Is This Course Suitable For?
Internal change agents, external consultants and managers and leaders responsible for implementing Agile programs as part of an enterprise Lean|Agile change initiative.
Are There Any Prerequisites For This Course?
- 5+ years of experience in software development, testing, business analysis, product or project management
- 3+ years of experience in Agile
- One or more relevant Agile certifications (e.g., CSM, CSPO, CSP, CSC, CST, Scrum.org, DSDM, ICAgile, PMI-ACP)
- This course is NOT suitable for those without prior Agile experience. Background checks will take place to ensure fit for the course and to ensure that delegates are properly prepared for the course.
How Should You Prepare For This Course?
Background reading prior to the course is essential, including review of the SAFe - Scaled Agile Framework™. A full reading list is provided to delegates upon registration. A reminder and additional recommendations will also be provided.
What about Certification?
Upon successful completion of the training, delegates will be eligible to take the on-line Scaled Agile Academy SAFe Program Consultant (SPC) exam. The exam is a complex multiple choice exam and will require revision. The exam window is just 10 days, immediately post course, and therefore time should be set aside for this - 3-4 hours is recommended as a minimum!
On passing the exam, SPCs will receive the following benefits:
- Usage of SAFe Foundations PowerPoint briefing
- Access to SAFe courseware to train managers and executives in the Leading SAFe course and the ability to act as a SAFe Agilist (SA) certifying agent
- Access to SAFe courseware to train teams in the SAFe ScrumXP for Teams course and the ability to act as a SAFe Practitioner (SP) certifying agent
- Content updates
- SPC Branding Kit (certification mark, material co-branding, etc.)
- Certified SPC directory listing (optional)
- Scaled Agile Academy LinkedIn community membership
Exam retakes are $250 and can be taken 60 days or more after the previous exam.
Renewals are from the date of certification:
- 160 hours of SPC consulting
- Renewal fee: $895
- 40 continuing education/outreach hours