What is this course?
The Advanced Certified Scrum Product Owner™ (A-CSPO™) course is part of the Scrum Alliance’s Path to Certified Scrum Professional®. This step in the Product Owner’s journey is a combination of workshop, applied learning on the job and reflective learning as part of online group coaching sessions.
This programme is aimed at practicing Product Owners, growing skills and knowledge in areas such as stakeholder identification and management, neuroscience-based collaboration techniques, scaling and advanced product backlog management.
It focuses on growing a Product Owner’s knowledge and skills to define and operate in a more Agile product-based organisation driven by product outcomes and metrics, supported by results driven approaches and insights into human based biases and behaviours.
The two-day workshop builds on a combination of interactive exercises, practical real-life examples, and lively discussion, and will equip you with the knowledge required to be an effective Scrum Product Owner.
Real learning happens through application and reflection, so following the workshop you will have two one to one coaching sessions, 30 minutes each, so that you can reflect on how you are applying your knowledge and skills. On completion of the course, you will become an A-CSPO™, which will make you eligible to work towards the Certified Scrum Professional®.
What will you learn?
The Advanced Certified Scrum Product Owner™ programme will help you take that next step in your growth as a Product Owner. By the end of this programme you will be able to:
- Identify the skills and capabilities needed for a Product Owner to collaborate as a member of a cross-functional Scrum Team in order to create successful products
- Use techniques to identify that you are working with the key stakeholders you need
- Recognise when to act as a facilitator for stakeholders
- Identify when a group is engaged in divergent thinking or convergent thinking
- Use different techniques for engaging with stakeholders on a regular basis
- Discuss the impact technical practices may have on the ability to maximize business value
- Describe the key attributes of different scaling frameworks and approaches
- Utilise approaches to identify purpose or strategy to foster alignment and shared ownership
- Plan a product release based on content from a roadmap, market segmentation or window
- Connect teams directly to customers and users to build deeper understanding and empathy
- Visualise and communicate product and feature ideas and assumptions
- Incorporate testing assumptions into the Scrum framework
- Develop hypotheses for a given target user/customer segment
- Maximise outcome and impact to the business, user, and market whilst minimising output for a product/feature idea
- Use different techniques to model and measure value
- Describe and apply at least four factors to implement when ordering a product backlog, and different techniques to structure and filter the contents of a product backlog
What topics will be covered?
- Product definition and organisational impact
- In-depth exploration of the Product Owner role and implementation patterns
- Mapping and working with Stakeholders
- Neuroscience-based collaboration techniques
- Group facilitation techniques
- Scaling approaches and patterns(e.g. SAFe, LeSS)
- Managing dependencies or reducing/removing dependencies between teams
- Visualising dependencies between teams
- Large-scale participatory meeting formats
- Cogitative bias that influences individual and Product decision making
- Vision to value
- Identifying target markets, looking at problem / solution fit and product market fit
- Exploring user jobs to be done
- Where to start with a Product – push v’s pull
- Creating Product tests
- Getting early feedback using marketing and prototypes to drive Product research
- Quantifying value and return on investment
- Comparative cost of delay
What will you receive?
- 2 days of high quality instruction from a Certified Scrum Trainer
- 2 coaching sessions to reflect on your Scrum Product Owner practice
- Advanced Certified Scrum Product Owner certification on successful completion of the programme
Who is this course suitable for?
This course is for Scrum Product Owner’s with at least a year’s experience in the role. You must have Agile experience as the course will build on your experiences in order to deepen your understanding of Agile and yourself.
Are there any prerequisites for this course?
- You will already be a Certified Scrum Product Owner® (CSPO®)
- At least 1 years’ experience working as a Scrum Product Owner
How should you prepare for this course?
The pre-reading and videos to be watched before the course are as follows:
- Steve Blank – The customer Development process – a 5-minute video
- Marty Cagan – Silicon Valley Product Group Blog. There are a wealth of articles here, have a browse through and read some of the articles
- Lean UX by Jeff Gothelf. This book brings together many of the techniques we will be touching on in the course
- Re-familiarise yourself with the Scrum Guide
What about certification?
In order to be eligible for the Advanced Certified Scrum Product Owner™ (A-CSPO™), you must already hold an active Certified Scrum Product Owner™ (CSPO™) qualification with the Scrum Alliance, attend both days of the course and the follow up coaching sessions. Your trainer will explain all necessary details about the certification during the course.