What is this course?
Live Online Training
To overcome the challenges currently associated with attending in-person training, agil8 have adapted the delivery of this course into a live online training format with added focus on how to work using agile with remote team members.
Utilising live video, alongside online collaboration tools, we’re able to replicate the interactive nature of our face-to-face training within a virtual environment. As such, individuals can undertake this training from their home, or any other remote location.
The Advanced Certified ScrumMaster™ (A-CSM™) course is part of the Scrum Alliance’s Path to Certified Scrum Professional®. This step in the ScrumMaster journey is a combination of workshop, applied learning on the job and reflective learning as part of online group coaching sessions.
This programme is aimed at practicing ScrumMasters. Growing skills such as facilitation and coaching, and building knowledge to better serve Development Teams, Product Owners and the wider organisation. This programme’s focus is on growing ScrumMasters as team coaches and change agents.
The two day workshop builds on a combination of interactive exercises, practical real-life examples, and lively discussion and will equip you with the knowledge required to be an effective ScrumMaster. However real learning happens through application and reflection, so after the workshop in order to achieve the A-CSM™ there is the applied practice and reflection element. There are two ways to complete the reflection:
- Through 1 to 1 coaching up to 3 sessions usually lasting 45 minutes, over video conference
- Through reflective writing you can submit written piece to reflect on your practice
This is the most important part of the programme that allows for reflection on how you are applying your knowledge and skills, this is why it is a mandatory part of the A-CSM™. On completion of the programme, you will become an A-CSM™, which will make you eligible to work towards the Certified Scrum Professional®.
What will you learn?
The Advanced Certified ScrumMaster™ programme will help you take that next step in your growth as a ScrumMaster. By the end of this programme you will be able to:
- Describe a wide range of Agile and Lean concepts and understand their context
- Share understanding and examples of Empirical Process Control
- Explore basic facilitation models
- Share facilitation skills
- Plan for collaborative meetings
- Be able to demonstrate a coaching stance
- Apply coaching techniques with team, Product Owners and stakeholders
- Apply techniques to foster self-organisation
- Understand team development models
- Apply techniques for improving team performance
- Facilitate the creation of a Definition of Done
- Describe a number engineering practices and how they affect a team’s ability to deliver a potentially shippable product increment
- Be able to facilitate the creation of a Vision and Product Backlog
- Explain Scrum to the Business
- Identify, analyse and resolve impediments
- Compare and contrast different scaling options
- Experiment with a large scale participatory meeting format
- Apply techniques that effect organisational change
- Create self awareness of yourself as a ScrumMaster
- Improve your ability to deal with conflict
- Understand Servant Leadership
What topics will be covered?
- Agile and Lean Values, Principles, and Worldview
- Empirical Process Control
- Basic Facilitation
- Coaching Fundamentals
- Self Organisation
- Team Dynamics
- Definition of Done
- Value of Engineering Practices
- Going from Vision to Ready
- Coaching the Product Owner
- Resolving Impediments
- Scaling Scrum
- Organisational Change
- Developing Yourself
What will you receive?
- 2 days of high quality instruction from two of our Certified Scrum Trainers
- 4 group coaching sessions to reflect on your ScrumMaster practice
- Course materials
- Advanced Certified ScrumMaster™(A-CSM™) certification on successful completion of the programme
Who is this course suitable for?
This course is for ScrumMasters with at least a year’s experience in the role (must already hold an active Certified ScrumMaster™ qualification with the Scrum Alliance). You must have Agile experience as the course will build on your experiences in order to deepen your understanding of Agile and yourself.
Are there any prerequisites for this course?
- You must already hold an active Certified ScrumMaster™ (CSM™) qualification with the Scrum Alliance
- At least 1 year’s experience working as a ScrumMaster
How should you prepare for this course?
The pre-reading and videos to be watched before the course are as follows:
- Atkins, L., Spayd, M. (2011) Developing Great Agile Coaches – Towards a Framework of Agile Coaching Competency – Part I. Agile Coaching Institute.
- ICF Core Competencies
- Product Owner in a Nutshell video by Henrik Kniberg
- Scrum Alliance Learning objective for the Advanced Scrum Master course.
In addition to re-familiarising yourself with the Scrum Guide, the following book is suggested as optional pre-reading:
- Derby, E., Larsen, D. (2006). Agile Retrospectives: Making Good Teams Great. The Pragmatic Programmer.
What about certification?
In order to be eligible for the Advanced Certified ScrumMaster™ (A-CSM™), you must already hold an active Certified ScrumMaster™ (CSM™) qualification with the Scrum Alliance, attend both days of the course and the follow up coaching sessions. Your trainer will explain all necessary details about the certification during the course.
With your Certified ScrumMaster™ (CSM™), you must successfully achieve and be validated by a Path to CSP Educator all the A-CSM™ learning objectives defined. Students must successfully complete all Educator-designed components of an approved educational offering, in addition to demonstrating at least one-year’s work experience specific to the role of ScrumMaster.