What is this course?
Whether you are new to Agile principles and have an idea of what Scrum is, or have already spent time involved with teams talking about or implementing Scrum, taking on the Product Owner role can be a daunting prospect. The role of the Scrum Product Owner is crucial to the overall Scrum Team, acting as the liaison between the development team and the wider customer community. An effective Scrum Product Owner will work collaboratively with stakeholders to define the overall product vision and is responsible for communicating that vision to the team and motivating the team to deliver a high quality product. The Product Owner is responsible for creating and maintaining the Product Backlog and is a key contributor to the Sprint Planning and Review Meetings. The Scrum Product Owner can help maximise delivery capabilities, enhance the planning and scheduling process, improve project estimation and drive overall product success.
If you’ve not undertaken Scrum Training with a formally Certified Scrum Trainer then you may be missing key knowledge and skills that will enable you to make the most of the opportunities afforded by effective implementation of Scrum principles and practices.
This 2 day, interactive course investigates the Scrum framework in detail from theory and foundations to practical application and pitfalls, covering all the team roles, activities and artifacts but focuses specifically on the role played by the Product Owner. You will learn about activities such as managing stakeholders, vision definition, ROI management, Product Backlog definition and grooming, creating effective stories, defining acceptance criteria for stories and defining “done” with the rest of the Scrum Team.
Upcoming Course Dates
|Location||Start date||Price exVAT||Trainer||Status|
|London - Paddington||30 Apr - 2 days||£995||David Hicks||SOLD OUT|
|London - Paddington||14 May - 2 days||£995||David Hicks|
|London - Paddington||30 May - 2 days||£890||David Hicks|
|London - Hatton Garden||09 Jun - 2 days||£990||Karim Harbott|
|London - Paddington||14 Jun - 2 days||£890||David Hicks|
|London - Paddington||27 Jun - 2 days||£890||David Hicks|
|London - Paddington||09 Jul - 2 days||£890||David Hicks|
|London - Paddington||30 Jul - 2 days||£890||David Hicks|
What will you learn?
The 2 day Certified Scrum Product Owner course will give you a sound understanding of Scrum principles and practices in order that you can:
- Participate actively as a Scrum Team member generally
- Function effectively as the Product Owner for the Scrum Team specifically
- Deliver a successful Scrum project
- Explain and sell Agile and the Scrum framework to other key stakeholders
- Collaborate effectively with key stakeholders and customers
- Create and maintain the Product Backlog
- Fulfil your essential role in Sprint Planning and Sprint Review meetings
- Participate in Daily Scrum Meetings and Sprint Retrospectives
- Understand and use the full range of Scrum Artifacts (Sprint Backlog, Burndown Charts, etc.)
- Understand how to operate Scrum with fixed price contracts and third party supplier relationships
- Help your team or organisation to transition to a more Lean and Agile way of working using Scrum
- Understand how to combine the use of Scrum with other Lean and Agile approaches such as Kanban, eXtreme Programming and Agile Project Management
What our delegates say
“David was very enthusiastic and engaging throughout the course, illustrating his knowledge using real life examples.”
Padraig McLarnon, Business Analyst
Certified Scrum Product Owner with David Hicks
“Well organised course with vital information of product owner. The course was delivered well by Karim, he kept the group engaged throughout the course and made it interesting with group exercises.”
Meet your trainers
Read David’s bio
Read Karim’s bio
What topics will be covered?
You can expect the following topics to be covered during the course:
- Scrum Framework Overview
- Sprints, Increments and Releases
- The Scrum Roles: Product Owner, ScrumMaster, Development Team
- Teamwork and Impact on Traditional Roles
- Scrum with third party contractual relationships
- The Scrum Meetings
- Product Vision and Roadmap
- Stakeholder engagement and management
- Product business model and market analysis
- Setting project scope and objectives
- Defining and communicating the Product Vision
- Building and managing the Product Backlog
- Defining Product Backlog Items
- User Stories and other Requirements techniques
- Prioritising and ordering the Product Backlog
- Splitting and sizing Product Backlog Items
- Prioritisation including MoSCoW and Kano analysis
- Progress Tracking
- The Definition of Done
- Understanding the Sprint Backlog
- The Daily Scrum Meeting
- Acceptance Criteria and Acceptance Testing
- The Sprint Review Meeting
- Burn Down Charts and Scrum Boards
- The Sprint Retrospective
- Release Management
- Release Planning
- Estimating and Velocity
- Progress tracking and forecasting
- Scaling the Product Owner role in Scrum
- Product Ownership with Multiple Scrum Teams
- Product ownership with Distributed Scrum Teams
In addition, given the instructor’s substantial experience and knowledge about the full range of Agile methods available, you will also benefit from the opportunity to gain a high level understanding of alternative and complementary Agile methods including Kanban, Lean, eXtreme Programming (XP), Dynamic Systems Development Method (DSDM) and Agile Project Management (AgilePM), and how they fit with Scrum.
What Will You Receive?
- 2 days of high quality instruction from a Scrum Alliance Certified Scrum Trainer and Agile expert with almost 20 years’ training and consulting experience.
- Certified Scrum Product Owner Certification upon successful completion of the course and registration with the Scrum Alliance (course is not examined)
- 2 years’ membership of the Scrum Alliance
- For PMI Project Management Professionals (PMPs), this course provides 14 Professional Development Units (PDUs). To understand how to apply for your PDUs, and in which categories, please see here for further information.
- This course also provides 14 Category B Scrum Alliance Education Units (SEUs) towards Certified Scrum Professional (CSP). To learn more about CSP certification, please see here
- Agil8 Community membership including face-to-face and virtual networking and knowledge sharing opportunities, access to industry experts, special offers and invitations to special events
- Course materials (printed bound copy plus access to electronic versions and other materials)
- Agil8 Planning Poker® cards for use in planning
- For courses on our public schedule, refreshments throughout the course, including drinks and lunch
Who is this course suitable for?
- Anyone who wants to be successful using Scrum
- Those newly setting out on their Agile journey
- Those who have gained previous experience but now want to consolidate their knowledge or address questions that have arisen based on their experience
- Those with the following roles within their organisation:
- Product Owners
- Product Managers
- Business Analysts
- Project Managers
- Agile Coaches
- ScrumMasters and Team Leaders
- Process Owners and Managers
- Functional / Departmental Managers
- Any other role that requires a deeper understanding of how the Product Owner role operates
Are there any prerequisites for this course?
There are no prerequisites for the course, however students are expected to complete the pre-course reading required.
How should you prepare for this course?
What about certification?
In order to become a Certified Scrum Product Owner Certification, you will need to successfully complete the 2 day course, following which your name will be registered with the Scrum Alliance.
Unlike the Certified ScrumMaster (CSM) course, the Certified Scrum Product Owner course is not examined and you will automatically be granted certification status once you are registered with the Scrum Alliance.