What is this course?
Whether you are new to Agile principles and have an idea of what Scrum is, or have already spent time involved with teams talking about or implementing Scrum, ensuring success with Scrum can be a daunting prospect.
You have understood that the benefits of ‘going agile’ include improving quality, productivity and time to market, but how does this happen in practice? And how can you ensure that you can deliver these process improvements? If you have not undertaken Scrum Training with a formally Certified ScrumMaster (CSM) Trainer then you may be missing key knowledge and skills that will enable you to make the most of the opportunities afforded by effective implementation of Scrum principles and practices.
The 2 day, highly interactive CSM course investigates the Scrum framework in detail from theory and foundations to practical application and pitfalls, covering all the team roles, activities, and artifacts, so that you can be an effective Scrum Master or member of a Scrum team.
Upcoming Course Dates
|Location||Start date||Price ex VAT|
|London - Paddington||27 Jan - 2 days||£995||David Hicks||SOLD OUT|
|Edinburgh - Radisson Blu||27 Jan - 2 days||£995||Matt Roadnight|
|London - Paddington||13 Feb - 2 days||£995||David Hicks|
|Manchester - Central||13 Feb - 2 days||£995||Dot Tudor|
|Leeds||17 Feb - 2 days||£995||Tom Reynolds|
|London - Paddington||27 Feb - 2 days||£895*||David Hicks|
|London - Paddington||09 Mar - 2 days||£895*||David Hicks|
|Birmingham Central||10 Mar - 2 days||£895*||Dot Tudor|
|London - Paddington||23 Mar - 2 days||£895*||David Hicks|
|Manchester - Portland St||23 Mar - 2 days||£895*||Zia Malik|
|Edinburgh - Radisson Blu||30 Mar - 2 days||£895*||Matt Roadnight|
What will you learn?
The 2 day Certified ScrumMaster (CSM) training course will give you a sound understanding of Scrum principles and practices in order that you can:
- Participate actively as a Scrum Team member
- Function effectively as the Certified Scrum Master for the Scrum Team
- Deliver a successful Scrum project
- Explain and sell Agile and the Scrum framework to other key stakeholders
- Define and use the full range of Agile and Scrum Artifacts (Product Backlog, Sprint Backlog, Increment, Burndown Charts, etc.)
- Set-up and facilitate Scrum Meetings (Release Planning, Sprint Planning, Daily Scrum, Sprint Review and Sprint Retrospective)
- Understand how to employ Scrum in real world circumstances such as distributed Scrum teams, fixed price contracts and third party supplier relationships
- Help your team or organisation to transition to a more Lean and Agile way of working using Scrum
- Understand how to combine the use of Scrum with other Lean and Agile approaches such as Kanban, eXtreme Programming (XP) and Agile Project Management (AgilePM)
What our delegates say
“I really enjoyed the course, very interesting and I feel like I have learnt a lot. David was great!”
Harriet Handley, Certified ScrumMaster course with David Hicks
Meet your trainers
Read David’s bio
Read Colin’s bio
What topics will be covered?
You can expect the following topics to be covered during the Certified Scrum Master course:
- General Knowledge
- Agile Manifesto
- Empirical and Defined Processes
- Scrum Process and Sprints
- The Significance of “Done”
- The Five Scrum Values
- Applicability of Scrum
- Scrum Roles
- Overview of Scrum Roles
- Product Owner
- The Team
- Team Characteristics
- Impact on Traditional Roles
- Scrum Meetings
- Sprint Planning Meeting
- Daily Scrum Meeting
- Sprint Review Meeting
- Sprint Retrospective Meeting
- Release Planning Meeting
- Scrum Artifacts
- Product Backlog
- Product Increment and the Definition of Done
- Sprint Backlog
- Burndown Chart
What will you receive?
- 2 days of high quality instruction from a Scrum Alliance Certified Scrum Trainer and Agile expert with over 20 years’ training and consulting experience. Your trainer will either be David Hicks or Karim Harbott.
- For courses on our public schedule, refreshments throughout the course, including drinks and lunch
- Course materials handbook
- Access to electronic copies of course materials and other reference documentation
- Recognition by the Scrum Alliance as a Certified ScrumMaster (CSM) after passing the Exam
- 2 years’ membership to the Scrum Alliance
- Agil8 Community membership including face-to-face and virtual networking and knowledge sharing opportunities, access to industry experts, special offers and invitations to special events
- For PMI Project Management Professionals (PMPs), this course provides 14 Category B Professional Development Units (PDUs)
Who is this course suitable for?
- Anyone who wants to be successful using Scrum
- Anyone who is involved in a Scrum Project across the full range of Scrum roles
- Those newly setting out on their Agile journey
- Those who are already using Agile or Scrum but now want to consolidate their knowledge or address questions that have arisen based on their experience
- Those with the following roles within their organisation:
- Agile Coaches
- Scrum Masters
- Team Leaders
- Development Team Members (Analysts, Architects, Designers, Coders, Testers, etc)
- Project Managers
- Product Owners
- Product Managers
- Process Owners and Managers
- Functional / Departmental Managers
Are there any prerequisites for this course?
There are no prerequisites for the course, however students are expected to complete the pre-course reading required.
How should you prepare for this course?
Prior to attending the course, students should familiarise themselves with key Scrum terms and definitions (as described in the Scrum Guide), as well as the principles and values of Agile – all of which can be found via the following links:
What about certification?
To become a Certified ScrumMaster (CSM), you will need to successfully complete the 2 day CSM training course, and then score a minimum of 37 correct answers out of 50 questions (74%) in an online, multiple-choice exam. Following attendance on the 2 day CSM course, you will be registered for the exam with the Scrum Alliance. You will then receive an invitation from the Scrum Alliance to take the exam. You must complete the exam within 90 days of completing your CSM course.
The exam has a time limit of 60 minutes, and you will not be able to pause the test. Please note that if you accidentally close the window, then you will be able to re-open it immediately. However, should you lose internet connection or lose access to the test for an extended period of time, then you will not be able to re-open the exam – in this scenario you should reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org to have a new test set up.
If you pass the exam you will receive a list of all missed questions and a list of possible answers with the correct answer highlighted. This will help you to understand where you went wrong and provide additional, post course instruction.
If you do not pass the exam on the first attempt will also receive a list of missed questions and possible answers, however the correct answer will not be highlighted. You may retake the exam at any time during the 90 days following your course at no charge. If you fail the exam a second time, however, you will be required to pay a $25 exam fee to the Scrum Alliance before resitting the exam again. The Scrum Alliance recommends that anyone who fails three times, re-take the CSM course before attempting the exam a fourth time.
Your certification will be active for a 2-year period, after which time you be required to complete the Scrum Alliance renewal process to maintain your certified status.
To renew the certification, individuals are required to achieve 20 SEUs (Scrum Education Units) and pay a renewal fee of $100. Further information on renewing your certification is available through the Scrum Alliance.