What is this course?
Live Online Training (Start Time: 9am UK Time)
To overcome the challenges currently associated with attending in-person training, agil8 have adapted the delivery of this course into a live online training format with added focus on how to work using agile with remote team members.
Utilising live video, alongside our bespoke online training platform (unique to agil8), we’re able to replicate the interactive nature of our face-to-face training within a virtual environment. As such, individuals can undertake this training from their home, or any other remote location.
Whether you are new to Agile principles and have an idea of what Scrum is, or have already spent time involved with teams talking about or implementing Scrum, taking on the Product Owner role can be a daunting prospect. The role of the Scrum Product Owner is crucial to the overall Scrum Team, acting as the liaison between the development team and the wider customer community.
An effective Scrum Product Owner will work collaboratively with stakeholders to define the overall product vision and is responsible for communicating that vision to the team and motivating the team to deliver a high quality product. The Product Owner is responsible for creating and maintaining the Product Backlog and is a key contributor to the Sprint Planning and Review Meetings. The Scrum Product Owner can help maximise delivery capabilities, enhance the planning and scheduling process, improve project estimation and drive overall product success.
If you’ve not undertaken Scrum Training with a formally Certified Scrum Trainer then you may be missing key knowledge and skills that will enable you to make the most of the opportunities afforded by effective implementation of Scrum principles and practices.
This 2 day, interactive course investigates the Scrum framework in detail from theory and foundations to practical application and pitfalls, covering all the team roles, activities and artifacts but focuses specifically on the role played by the Product Owner. You will learn about activities such as managing stakeholders, vision definition, ROI management, Product Backlog definition and refinement, creating effective stories, defining acceptance criteria for stories and defining “done” with the rest of the Scrum Team.
Upcoming Course Dates
|Location||Start date||Price ex VAT|
|Live Online Training||28 Nov - 2 days||£795||David Hicks||SOLD OUT|
|Live Online Training||05 Dec - 2 days||£795||Derek Davidson|
|Live Online Training||12 Dec - 2 days||£795||David Hicks|
|London - Chancery Lane||15 Dec - 2 days||£895*||John McFadyen||SOLD OUT|
|Live Online Training||09 Jan - 2 days||£795||David Hicks|
|Live Online Training||23 Jan - 2 days||£795||Derek Davidson|
|Live Online Training||06 Feb - 2 days||£795||David Hicks|
|London - Chancery Lane||16 Feb - 2 days||£895*||Karim Harbott|
|Live Online Training||20 Feb - 2 days||£795||Derek Davidson|
|Live Online Training||06 Mar - 2 days||£795||David Hicks|
|Live Online Training||20 Mar - 2 days||£795||Derek Davidson|
What will you learn?
The 2 day Certified Scrum Product Owner course will give you a sound understanding of Scrum principles and practices in order that you can:
- Participate actively as a Scrum Team member generally
- Function effectively as the Product Owner for the Scrum Team specifically
- Deliver a successful Scrum project
- Explain and sell Agile and the Scrum framework to other key stakeholders
- Collaborate effectively with key stakeholders and customers
- Create and maintain the Product Backlog
- Fulfil your essential role in Sprint Planning and Sprint Review meetings
- Participate in Daily Scrum Meetings and Sprint Retrospectives
- Understand and use the full range of Scrum Artifacts (Sprint Backlog, Burndown Charts, etc.)
- Understand how to operate Scrum with people in remote locations, with fixed deadlines and fixed price contracts and with third party supplier relationships
- Help your team or organisation to transition to a more Lean and Agile way of working using Scrum
- Understand how to combine the use of Scrum with other Lean and Agile approaches such as Kanban, eXtreme Programming (XP) and Agile Project Management (AgilePM)
What our delegates say
“I would highly recommend this course with Agil8. David was an excellent instructor and brought a wealth of knowledge and first hand experience to the course delivery. Through the training I feel well equipped to be an effective Product Owner.”
Karen Shaw (Digital Manager, Tearfund)
Certified Scrum Product Owner – Live Online Training with David Hicks
“Like popping into a shop for bread and milk, and coming out with a basketful of goodies, I attended the course with one specific project in mind. Now having attended it I can see so many ways it can be applied, and I am looking forward to exploring how Agile and Scrum can help me in many aspects of my work.”
Laura Barker Wood (Collections Systems Data Standards Manager, National Trust)
Certified Scrum Product Owner – Live Online Training with David Hicks
Read Derek’s bio
What topics will be covered?
You can expect the following topics to be covered during the course:
- Scrum Framework Overview
- Sprints, Increments and Releases
- The Scrum Roles: Product Owner, ScrumMaster, Development Team
- Teamwork and Impact on Traditional Roles
- Scrum with third party contractual relationships
- The Scrum Meetings
- Product Vision and Roadmap
- Stakeholder engagement and management
- Product business model and market analysis
- Setting project scope and objectives
- Defining and communicating the Product Vision
- Building and managing the Product Backlog
- Defining Product Backlog Items
- User Stories and other Requirements techniques
- Prioritising and ordering the Product Backlog
- Splitting and sizing Product Backlog Items
- Prioritisation including MoSCoW and Kano analysis
- Progress Tracking
- The Definition of Done
- Understanding the Sprint Backlog
- The Daily Scrum Meeting
- Acceptance Criteria and Acceptance Testing
- The Sprint Review Meeting
- Burn Down Charts and Scrum Boards
- The Sprint Retrospective
- Release Management
- Release Planning
- Estimating and Velocity
- Progress tracking and forecasting
What will you receive?
- 2 days of high quality instruction from a Scrum Alliance Certified Scrum Trainer and Agile expert with almost 20 years’ training and consulting experience.
- Course materials handbook (online PDF)
- Certified Scrum Product Owner Certification upon successful completion of the course and registration with the Scrum Alliance (course is not examined)
- 2 years’ membership of the Scrum Alliance
- For PMI Project Management Professionals (PMPs), this course provides 16 Professional Development Units (PDUs)
- Agil8 Community membership including face-to-face and virtual networking and knowledge sharing opportunities, access to industry experts, special offers and invitations to special events
Who is this course suitable for?
- Anyone who wants to be successful using Scrum
- Those newly setting out on their Agile journey
- Those who have gained previous experience but now want to consolidate their knowledge or address questions that have arisen based on their experience
- Those with the following roles within their organisation:
- Product Owners
- Product Managers
- Business Analysts
- Project Managers
- Agile Coaches
- ScrumMasters and Team Leaders
- Process Owners and Managers
- Functional / Departmental Managers
- Any other role that requires a deeper understanding of how the Product Owner role operates
Are there any prerequisites for this course?
There are no prerequisites for the course, however students are expected to complete the pre-course reading required.
How should you prepare for this course?
Prior to attending the course, students should familiarise themselves with key Scrum terms and definitions (as described in the Scrum Guide), as well as the principles and values of Agile – all of which can be found via the following links:
What about certification?
In order to become a Certified Scrum Product Owner, you will need to successfully complete the 2 day course, following which your name will be registered with the Scrum Alliance.
Unlike the Certified ScrumMaster (CSM) course, the Certified Scrum Product Owner course is not examined and you will automatically be granted certification status once you are registered with the Scrum Alliance.
Your certification will be active for a 2-year period, after which time you will be required to complete the Scrum Alliance renewal process to maintain your certified status.
To renew the certification, individuals are required to achieve 20 SEUs (Scrum Education Units) and pay a renewal fee of $100. Further information on renewing your certification is available through the Scrum Alliance.