What is this course?
Whether you are new to Agile principles and have an idea of what Scrum is, or have already spent time involved with teams talking about or implementing Scrum, ensuring success with Scrum can be a daunting prospect. You have understood that the benefits of ‘going agile’ include improving quality, productivity and time to market, but how does this happen in practice? And how can you ensure that you can deliver these process improvements? If you have not undertaken Scrum Training with an experienced Scrum Trainer then you may be missing key knowledge and skills that will enable you to make the most of the opportunities afforded by effective implementation of Scrum principles and practices.
This one-day course investigates the Scrum framework from theory and foundations to practical application and pitfalls and, as such, is a useful introduction for those new to Agile / Scrum who would like to learn more in order to work within, or alongside, a Scrum Team.
No dates available
What will you learn?
The one-day Scrum Overview course will give you a sound understanding of Scrum principles and practices in order that you can:
- Participate actively as a Scrum Team member
- Explain Agile and the Scrum framework to key stakeholders
- Define and use the full range of Agile and Scrum Artifacts (Product Backlog, Sprint Backlog, Increment, Burndown Charts etc.)
- Participate effectively in Scrum Meetings (Release Planning, Sprint Planning, Daily Scrum, Sprint Review and Sprint Retrospective)
- Help your team or organisation to transition to a more Lean and Agile way of working using Scrum
What topics will be covered?
You can expect the following topics to be covered during the course:
- Agile Manifesto
- Scrum Process and Sprints
- The Significance of “Done”
- The Five Scrum Values
- Applicability of Scrum
- Overview of Scrum Roles
- Teamwork and Team Characteristics
- Sprint Planning Meeting
- Daily Scrum Meeting
- Sprint Review and Retrospective Meetings
- Product Backlog
- Product Incremement and Definition of “Done”
- Sprint Backlog
- Burndown Chart
Managing Scrum Projects
- Combining Agile Methods
- Transitioning to Agile
What will you receive?
- One day of high quality instruction from an Agile expert with over 10 years’ Agile experience. Agil8 is a specialist Agile training and consultancy company and, as such, only provides trainers with significant agile expertise – focused on one or more Agile methods and with substantial agile client consulting / coaching experience. You can read about our trainers on our website: www.agil8.com
- Course materials handbook and course completion certificate
- For courses run at agil8’s Paddington offices, refreshments during the day including buffet lunch
- Access to electronic copies of course materials and other reference documentation
- Agil8 Community membership including face-to-face and virtual networking and knowledge sharing opportunities, access to industry experts, special offers and invitations to special events
Who is this course suitable for?
This course is suitable for anyone who requires an overview of Scrum, but does not need the detailed level of understanding required by potential ScrumMasters and Product Owners.
Are there any prerequisites for this course?
There are no prerequisites for the course, however students are expected to complete the pre-course reading required.
How should you prepare for this course?
Prior to attending the course, students should familiarise themselves with key Scrum terms and definitions, as described in the Scrum Guide. An online and downloadable pdf version of the Scrum Guide is available for pre-reading via the following link: Scrum Guide
What about certification?
This course does not provide certification. Certified Scrum Training can only be provided by Certified Scrum Trainers. In case certification is required, please ensure that your course is being taught by a Certified Scrum Trainer. A recommended route, post Awareness course, would be either the Scrum Alliance Certified ScrumMaster (CSM) or Certified Scrum Product Owner (CSPO), depending on your role. Agil8 can provide guidance and recommendations regarding ongoing training and support.