What is this course?
Live Online Training
To overcome the challenges currently associated with attending in-person training, agil8 have adapted the delivery of this course into a live online training format with added focus on how to work using agile with remote team members.
Utilising live video, alongside online collaboration tools, we’re able to replicate the interactive nature of our face-to-face training within a
virtual environment. As such, individuals can undertake this training from their home, or any other remote location.
Online Delivery Method
The online Certified Kanban Foundation (KMP1) course will be delivered via 3 x 4.5 hour sessions (9.00am – 1.30pm BST).
Certified Kanban Foundation is a highly interactive, 2 day course accredited by the Kanban University and meeting the requirements of Kanban Management Professional 1 (KMP1). The course provides in-depth training in Kanban practices and the principles that underpin the Kanban method, including a fully immersive Kanban simulation. This course is delivered both as a public schedule course and as a private, in-house course.
The Kanban method is an evolutionary approach to change and change management which starts with what you do now, respecting current roles, responsibilities and job titles, and encouraging acts of leadership at all levels. By agreeing to pursue incremental, evolutionary change that evolves business processes using a Kaizen approach the risks associated with complex change programmes can be reduced.
Participants will gain knowledge about the Kanban Method and related topics in order to be able to:
- Lead or guide a team in their adoption of Kanban – from initial visualisation and the design of Kanban systems through to evolutionary change
- Answer questions and support the team with day-to-day operations
- Help teams to identify and resolve hindrances to flow
- Take measurements and create meaningful metrics that help the team
- Evolve process and practice according to team needs in a meaningful way
- Connect with the Kanban community for the sharing of practical experiences and the development of new ideas and techniques
We run the Certified Kanban Foundation (KMP1) and Certified Kanban Management Professional (KMP2) courses together, and for selected (back to back) course dates we offer an increased discount when both courses are booked together. Please get in touch for further details.
Upcoming Course Dates
|Location||Start date||Price ex VAT|
|Live Online (3 x 4.5hrs)||10 Aug - 3 days||£895*||Tom Reynolds|
|London - Barbican||08 Sep - 2 days||£895*||Tom Reynolds|
|London - Barbican||06 Oct - 2 days||£895*||Tom Reynolds|
|London - Barbican||03 Nov - 2 days||£895*||Tom Reynolds|
|London - Barbican||08 Dec - 2 days||£895*||Tom Reynolds|
What will you learn?
Based on the trainer’s practical experience, participants also will learn how to:
- Identify internal and external sources of dissatisfaction
- Analyse demand vs capability
- Model the knowledge discovery process
- Design Kanban systems and their visualisations
- Identify/prioritise improvements
- Choose cadences for activities
- Identify classes of service
- Create a rollout plan, negotiating strategy with stakeholders
What our delegates say
“This course is jam packed full of excellent discussions, exercises and practical examples. An excellent course”
Certified Kanban Foundation (KMP1) course with Tom Reynolds
Meet your trainers
Read Tom’s bio
Read Jose’s bio
What topics will be covered?
This workshop is deliberately very hands on and will take advantage of numerous exercises, games and Kanban simulations over the 2 days alongside instructor-led discussions and presentations. The Kanban method is based on six practices which, following an Overview, will form the basis of the topics that will be covered over the 2 days:
- Kanban Introduction
- What is Kanban
- Kanban with a big ‘K’ and little ‘k’
- Kanban to Manage Change
- Principles of the Kanban Method
- Kanban Core Practices
- When is Kanban typically used
- Identify Work Items
- Demand analysis
- Handling large work items
- Kanban cards
- Sizing work items
- Value Streams
- What is a Value Stream
- Mapping the knowledge discovery process through Value Stream mapping
- Kanban Boards
- The relationship between a Kanban Board and the Value Stream
- Setting up and using a Kanban Board
- Different options for Kanban Boards
- Queues and buffers
- Limit Work in Progress (WIP)
- Queuing Theory: Little’s Law
- Calculating Lead Time
- Calculating Throughput
- Calculating WIP
- Calculating Release Time
- Why Limit WIP
- Techniques to Limit WIP
- Where to Apply WIP Limits
- Make Management Policies Explicit
- Definition of ‘done’
- Classes of Service
- Cost of delay
- Service Level Agreements
- Measuring and Managing Flow
- Cumulative Flow Diagrams in Relation to Kanban
- How to produce a Cumulative Flow Diagram
- How to measure Lead Time
- How to measure WIP
- How to measure Flow
- Optimising Flow
- How to use the Cumulative Flow Diagram to identify problems
- Five focusing steps to remove bottlenecks
- Interpreting a control chart
- Interpreting a lead time distribution chart
- Sources of Variability
- Sources of dissatisfaction
- The impact of variability
- Techniques and strategies for removing variability
- Empirical Feedback
- Improvement Kata
- Cadence and Rhythm
- Daily Standups
- Operations Review
- Apply your learning
- Team based realistic simulation of a Kanban system in practice
- Kanban in your organisation
- The context for change
- The steps required to build a Kanban system
- Apply a Kanban system to your organisation
- Prepare a roll-out plan for your organisation
What will you receive?
- 2 days of high quality instruction from a highly experienced trainer
- For courses on our public schedule, refreshments before and during the course, including drinks and lunch
- Course materials
- Membership of the Kanban University
- Kanban University certificate on course completion
- For Scrum Alliance members, this course provides 15 Category C Scrum Education Units (SEUs) which can be counted towards the renewal of Scrum Alliance Certifications such as CSM, CSPO, CSD. Read here how to renew your Scrum Alliance Certifications.
Who is this course suitable for?
This course is useful for anyone who wants to be successful using Kanban within their organisation or anyone who works with teams utilising Kanban. As such, it will benefit anyone who is involved in using Kanban or considering using Kanban. It will be helpful both to those new to Kanban and those who have explored Kanban but who now want to consolidate their knowledge in a practical setting.
In terms of roles, the course is suitable for Product, Project and Programme Managers, Development Team Members (including, but not limited to, Architects, Designers, Developers and Testers), Business Analysts and Scrum Product Owners and ScrumMasters who want to enhance their Lean/Agile skillset.
If run as an in-house course, then attending the course as a full team offers a real opportunity for the entire team to experience and learn Kanban together and creates an excellent foundation for them to move forward.
Are there any prerequisites for this course?
There are no formal pre-requisites for this course however some familiarity with Agile methods would be helpful and students are expected to complete the pre-course reading required.
How should you prepare for this course?
The Kanban University website includes several useful Kanban resources. The following is recommended as useful introductory material for those new to Kanban:
What about certification?
This course has been accredited by David J Anderson (creator of the Kanban method) and the Kanban University, and meets the requirements for the Kanban Management Professional (KMP1) certification.
Those students taking a Kanban University accredited course will be eligible to become members of the Kanban University. To read about the benefits and learn more, visit the Kanban University website.
For Scrum Alliance members, this course also provides 15 Category C Scrum Education Units (SEUs) which can be counted towards the renewal of Scrum Alliance Certifications such as CSM, CSPO, CSD. See here for further information.