What is this course?
If you’re aiming to develop greater visibility and collaboration, then the Team Kanban Practitioner (TKP) is a great place to start. In addition to understanding the basics of the Kanban Method, you will learn how to design and implement a Team Kanban task board.
This 1-day, introductory course, which follows the official syllabus of the Lean Kanban University (LKU), will also develop your ability to visualise different types of work and the associated risks.
What will you learn?
As part of this course, attendees will learn and understand:
- The core concepts of the Kanban Method
- The 4 types of Team Kanban systems and when each is appropriate
- How to design and implement a Team Kanban task board
- How to run daily Kanban meetings
- How to proceed to the next level with Kanban
What topics will be covered?
The course follows the official LKU Certified Team Kanban Practitioner syllabus. During the course you will cover the following topics:
- The Sustainability Agenda to Address Overburdening
- Values, Principles & Practices of the Kanban Method
- Meanings of Kanban
- Basic Kanban Concepts
- Visual Boards
- Cycle-time Metrics
- Work in Progress Limits (WIP)
- Delivery Rate & Little’s Law
- Overview of 7 Kanban Cadences
- Daily Standup Meeting
- Replenishment Meeting
- Lean Kanban interactive simulation (getKanban)
- Different Board Designs (including Personal Kanban)
- WIP Limits
- Types of Risk
- Design-a-board Exercise
- Introduction to Other Kanban Topics
- Service delivery workflow Kanban
- Service-oriented Agenda
- Proto-Kanban versus full Kanban System
- Benefits of extending Kanban up / down workflow
- Overview of STATIK
What will you receive?
- 1 day of high quality instruction from a Lean-Kanban University certified Trainer with over 10 years’ agile experience
- For courses on our public schedule, refreshments before and during the course, including drinks and lunch
- Course materials
- Membership of the Lean-Kanban University (LKU)
- LKU certificate of course completion
Who is this course suitable for?
This 1-day introduction course is suitable for anyone who wants to understand the key concepts and principles of the Kanban Method, and learn how to apply them within their teams and organisations. As such, it will benefit anyone who is involved in using Kanban or considering using Kanban. It will be helpful both to those new to Kanban and those who have explored Kanban but who now want to consolidate their knowledge in a practical setting.
In terms of roles, the course is suitable for Product and Project Managers, Development Team Members (including, but not limited to, Architects, Designers, Developers and Testers), Business Analysts and also for Scrum Product Owners and ScrumMasters who want to enhance their Lean/Agile skillset. For those looking for more in-depth knowledge than this introductory course will provide, the more comprehensive Lean Kanban Foundation (KMP1) may also be considered.
If run as an in-house course, then attending the course as a full team offers a real opportunity for the entire team to experience and learn Kanban together and creates an excellent foundation for them to move forward.
Are there any prerequisites for this course?
There are no prerequisites for this course, and so no previous understanding or experience of Kanban is required. All experience levels are welcome.
How should you prepare for this course?
The Lean-Kanban University website includes several useful Kanban resources. The following is recommended as useful introductory material for those new to Lean and Kanban:
What about certification?
This course is accredited by David J Anderson and Lean-Kanban University (LKU). Participants will receive a Team Kanban Practitioner (TKP) certificate of course completion from Lean Kanban University as well as membership of the LKU.