What is this course?
Live Online Training
To overcome the challenges currently associated with attending in-person training, agil8 have adapted the delivery of this course into a live online training format with added focus on how to work using agile with remote team members. Utilising live video, alongside our bespoke online training platform (unique to agil8), we’re able to replicate the interactive nature of our face-to-face training within a virtual environment.
This course is delivered by SAFe® Remote Trainers
To gain this recognition, our trainers have demonstrated the skills and experienced needed to continually deliver high quality Certified SAFe training via remote online delivery.
The discipline of software engineering has evolved over the past decades with the introduction of Lean-Agile and DevOps principles and practices. New skills and approaches help organizations deliver software-centric solutions faster, more predictably, and with higher quality. During this three-day, workshop-oriented course, attendees learn the foundational principles and practices that make up the Agile Software Engineering discipline.
Attendees will learn how continuous flow of value delivery and building quality in are enabled by modern practices including XP technical practices, Behavioural-Driven Development (BDD), and Test-Driven Development (TDD). Attendees will learn proven practices to detail, model, design, implement, verify, and validate stories in a SAFe Continuous Delivery Pipeline. They will know the practices that build quality into code (abstraction, encapsulation, intentional programming) and designs (SOLID, Design patterns). Attendees will also understand how Software Engineering fits into the larger solution context and their role in collaborating on intentional architecture and DevOps.
What will you learn?
To perform the role of a SAFe® Agile Software Engineer attendees should be able to:
- Define Agile Software Engineering and the underlying values, principles, and practices
- Apply the Test-First principle to create alignment between tests and requirements
- Create shared understanding with Behaviour-Driven Development (BDD)
- Communicate with Agile modeling
- Design from context for testability
- Build applications with code and design quality
- Utilize the test infrastructure for automated testing
- Collaborate on intentional architecture and emergent design
- Apply Lean-Agile Principles to optimize the flow of value
- Create an Agile Software Engineering plan
What topics will be covered?
You can expect the following topics to be covered during the course:
- Introduction to Agile Software Engineering
- Connecting Principles, and Practices to Built-In Quality
- Accelerating Flow
- Applying Intentional Architecture
- Thinking Test-First
- Discovering Story Details
- Creating a Shared Understanding with Behaviour-Driven Development (BDD)
- Communicating with Models
- Building Systems with Code Quality
- Building Systems with Design Quality
- Implementing with Quality
What will you receive?
The class registration includes:
- Student Workbook
- Preparation and eligibility to take the exam
- One-year membership to the SAFe Community Platform
- Certification of completion
- Certified SAFe® Agile Software Engineer certification upon passing of exam
- One Certification exam attempt (re-takes at an additional fee)
Upon passing the exam post course you will also receive, as part of your certification:
- SAFe® Agile Software Engineer certificate
- A SAFe® Agile Software Engineer digital badge to promote your accomplishment online
- A one-year certified membership as a SAFe® Agile Software Engineer, which includes access to the ASE Community of Practice
- Access to a variety of learning resources to support certified professionals during their SAFe journey
Who is this course suitable for?
This course targets the technical members of an Agile Team – developers and testers. Product Owners, Scrum Master, Managers, and others with a less technical background would also be very beneficial as they would gain an understanding of the development process so that team collaboration will become more effective.
Are there any prerequisites for this course?
All are welcome to attend the course, regardless of experience. However, meeting the following prerequisites will make the training more productive.
- Understanding of SAFe for Teams
- Background in engineering, development, managing development, or quality assurance
How should you prepare for this course?
Background reading prior to the course is essential, including review of the SAFe – Scaled Agile Framework™.
What about certification?
To gain the certification, you are required to attend all 3-days of the SAFe Agile Software Engineering course followed by the successful completion of an online exam.
Exam name: SAFe® Agile Software Engineer Exam
Exam format: Multiple choice; Multiple select
Exam delivery: Web-based (single-browser), closed book, no outside assistance, timed
Exam access: Candidates can access the exam within the SAFe Community Platform upon completion of the SAFe® Agile Software Engineering course
Exam duration: Once the exam begins, candidates have 120 minutes (2.0 hours) to complete the exam
Number of questions: 60
Passing score: 42 out of 60 (70%)
Exam cost: First exam attempt is included as part of the course registration fee if the exam is taken within 30 days of course completion. Each retake attempt costs $50.
Retake policy: Second attempt on exam (first retake) can be done immediately after first attempt. Third attempt requires a 10-day wait. Fourth attempt requires a 30-day wait. Contact email@example.com for any retake questions.
Certification / Membership Renewal
Scaled Agile have recently updated their certification renewal and membership model. This is intended to simplify the annual renewal process and align the associated pricing with the value of the SAFe Community Platform and the re-certification of SAFe professionals.
As Scaled Agile have moved to a membership model for the SAFe Community Platform – individuals are now be able to renew their membership at one of three tiers. If you don’t need, or want, to include renewal of your certifications, there is also the option to only renew your membership. This will not renew your certification, but will allow you to continue to access the assets, tools, and resources to help you grow as a SAFe professional (for this option please see Individual SAFe Membership below).
The relevant Membership options for this course are included below. Please note that the first year of your certification and membership is included within the cost of this course – therefore, the following renewal fees will only apply when renewing your membership:
Certified SAFe Membership ($295/year) – For members who currently hold one or more certifications, and who may benefit from a bundled pricing approach. Renews all certifications except SPC and/or SPCT, provides access to basic and some advanced content, as well as continued access to course learnings and assets.
Individual SAFe Membership ($195/year) – For those who don’t seek certification but would still like to benefit from the valuable content on the SAFe Community Platform. No certification renewals included.