What is this course?
The discipline of software engineering has evolved over the past decades with the introduction of Lean-Agile and DevOps principles and practices. New skills and approaches help organizations deliver software-centric solutions faster, more predictably, and with higher quality. During this three-day, workshop-oriented course, attendees learn the foundational principles and practices that make up the Agile Software Engineering discipline.
Attendees will learn how continuous flow of value delivery and building quality in are enabled by modern practices including XP technical practices, Behavioural-Driven Development (BDD), and Test-Driven Development (TDD). Attendees will learn proven practices to detail, model, design, implement, verify, and validate stories in a SAFe Continuous Delivery Pipeline. They will know the practices that build quality into code (abstraction, encapsulation, intentional programming) and designs (SOLID, Design patterns). Attendees will also understand how Software Engineering fits into the larger solution context and their role in collaborating on intentional architecture and DevOps.
What will you learn?
To perform the role of a SAFe® 4 Agile Software Engineer attendees should be able to:
- Define Agile Software Engineering and the underlying values, principles, and practices
- Apply the Test-First principle to create alignment between tests and requirements
- Create shared understanding with Behaviour-Driven Development (BDD)
- Communicate with Agile modeling
- Design from context for testability
- Build applications with code and design quality
- Utilize the test infrastructure for automated testing
- Collaborate on intentional architecture and emergent design
- Apply Lean-Agile Principles to optimize the flow of value
- Create an Agile Software Engineering plan
What topics will be covered?
You can expect the following topics to be covered during the course:
- Introduction to Agile Software Engineering
- Connecting Principles, and Practices to Built-In Quality
- Accelerating Flow
- Applying Intentional Architecture
- Thinking Test-First
- Discovering Story Details
- Creating a Shared Understanding with Behaviour-Driven Development (BDD)
- Communicating with Models
- Building Systems with Code Quality
- Building Systems with Design Quality
- Implementing with Quality
What will you receive?
The class registration includes:
- Student Workbook
- Preparation and eligibility to take the exam
- One-year membership to the SAFe Community Platform
- Certification of completion
- Certified SAFe® 4 Agile Software Engineer certification upon passing of exam
- One Certification exam attempt (re-takes at an additional fee)
Upon passing the exam post course you will also receive, as part of your certification:
- SAFe® 4 Agile Software Engineer certificate
- A SAFe® 4 Agile Software Engineer digital badge to promote your accomplishment online
- A one-year certified membership as a SAFe® 4 Agile Software Engineer, which includes access to the ASE Community of Practice
- Access to a variety of learning resources to support certified professionals during their SAFe journey
Who is this course suitable for?
This course targets the technical members of an Agile Team – developers and testers. Product Owners, Scrum Master, Managers, and others with a less technical background would also be very beneficial as they would gain an understanding of the development process so that team collaboration will become more effective.
Are there any prerequisites for this course?
All are welcome to attend the course, regardless of experience. However, meeting the following prerequisites will make the training more productive.
- Understanding of SAFe for Teams
- Background in engineering, development, managing development, or quality assurance
How should you prepare for this course?
Background reading prior to the course is essential, including review of the SAFe – Scaled Agile Framework™.
What about certification?
To gain the certification, you are required to attend all 3-days of the SAFe Agile Software Engineering course followed by the successful completion of an online exam.
Exam name: SAFe® 4 Agile Software Engineer Exam
Exam format: Multiple choice; Multiple select
Exam delivery: Web-based (single-browser), closed book, no outside assistance, timed
Exam access: Candidates can access the exam within the SAFe Community Platform upon completion of the SAFe® 4 Agile Software Engineering course
Exam duration: Once the exam begins, candidates have 120 minutes (2.0 hours) to complete the exam
Number of questions: 60
Passing score: 42 out of 60 (70%)
Exam cost: First exam attempt is included as part of the course registration fee if the exam is taken within 30 days of course completion. Each retake attempt costs $50.
Retake policy: Second attempt on exam (first retake) can be done immediately after first attempt. Third attempt requires a 10-day wait. Fourth attempt requires a 30-day wait. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for any retake questions.