What is this course?
This 2 day interactive workshop begins with the principles of SAFe, Lean-thinking tools, Agile development practices at scale, and an overview of the Scaled Agile Framework™.
Teams will then learn the Product Owner and Product Manager roles in the enterprise, how to manage the enterprise backlog, delivering features, Agile requirements, the events within SAFe and finally stakeholder management.
At the end of this workshop, attendees will have the tools and knowledge they need to write Epics, Features and User Stories within SAFe, and have a solid foundation on how to manage programs in the Lean-Agile Enterprise. An optional SAFe Product Owner/Product Manager certification is offered at the end of the class.
What will you learn?
To perform the role of a SAFe® Product Owner/Product Manager, attendees should be able to:
- Apply SAFe in the Lean enterprise
- Connect SAFe Lean-Agile principles and values to the PO/PM roles
- Collaborate with Lean Portfolio Management
- Explore continuous value with Program Increment Planning
- Execute the Program Increment and deliver continuous value
- Articulate the Product Owner and Product Manager roles
- Create a role action plan
What our delegates say
“The course provided an excellent balance between the roles / theory of SAFe, combined with interactive exercises that added invaluable context.”
SAFe Product Owner / Product Manager course
With Andrea Darabos and Shaun Smith
Meet your trainers
Read Shaun’s bio
Read Andrea’s bio
What topics will be covered?
- Applying SAFe in the Lean enterprise
- Relating a Lean-Agile Mindset to the Product Owner and Product Manager roles
- Collaborating with Lean Portfolio Management
- Continuously explore customer needs
- Executing the Program Increment
- Defining the Product Owner/Product Manager roles and responsibilities
- Creating a Product Owner/Product Manager action plan
What will you receive?
The class registration includes:
- Attendee workbook
- Preparation and eligibility to take the SAFe® 4.6 Product Owner/Product Manager (POPM) exam
- One-year membership to the SAFe Community Platform
- Course certificate of completion
Both days of the course must be attended in order to qualify for the exam. Attendees who pass the certification exam will also receive:
- SAFe 4.6 Product Owner/Product Manager certificate
- A SAFe 4.6 Product Owner/Product Manager digital badge to promote your accomplishment online
- A one-year certified membership as a SAFe Product Owner/Product Manager, which includes access to the POPM Community of Practice
- A SAFe Product Owner/Product Manager certification usage guide with POPM certification marks
- Access to a variety of learning resources to support certified professionals during their SAFe journey
Attendees may also be eligible to apply for 15 Category C Scrum Education Units (SEUs) which can be counted towards the renewal of Scrum Alliance Certifications such as CSM, CSPO, CSD. See here for further information.
Who is this course suitable for?
The following individuals will benefit from this course:
- Product Managers, Product Line Managers, Product Owners, Business Owners, and Business Analysts
- Solution Managers, Portfolio Managers, Program Managers, PMO personnel, and Process Leads
- Enterprise, Solution, and System Architects
Are there any prerequisites for this course?
The following prerequisites are highly recommended for those who intend to take the SAFe® 4.6 Product Owner/Product Manager (POPM) certification exam:
- Attend a Leading SAFe® course
- Experience working in a SAFe environment
- Experience with Lean, Agile, or other relevant certifications
How should you prepare for this course?
What about certification?
To gain the certification, you are required to attend both days of the SAFe Product Owner / Product Manager course followed by the successful completion of an online exam.
Exam name: SAFe® Product Owner/Product Manager Exam
Exam format: Multiple choice
Exam delivery: Web-based (single-browser), closed book, no outside assistance, timed
Exam access: Candidates can access the exam within the SAFe Community Platform upon completion of the SAFe Product Owner/Product Manager course
Exam duration: Once the exam begins, candidates have 90 minutes (1.5 hours) to complete the exam
Number of questions: 45
Passing score: 35 out of 45 (77% passing score)
Exam cost: First exam attempt is included as part of the course registration fee if the exam is taken within 30 days of course completion. Each retake attempt costs $50.
Retake policy: Second attempt on exam (first retake) can be done immediately after first attempt. Third attempt requires a 10-day wait. Fourth attempt requires a 30-day wait. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for any retake questions.